Sunday, 18 November 2012

Storm watching

My friends and I went to one of the most western parts of Canada in 2009 with one sole purpose: storm watching. We went as far into December as we possibly could to the town that is well know for its stormy weather - a surfers retreat- Tofino, BC.

We aren't crazy! We just wanted to see crazy wave action!!!

We trek across Vancouver Island to find one thing, no storms, only beautiful blue skies. :(

Yes- we come from a place where there is a lack of sun and vitamin D in the winter and we are sad to see the sun! Go figure!!!! But the one time we really wanted rain and clouds - it was nowhere to be found. We had a fabulous weekend none the less- fille with friends, food, games, fresh crab, long walks along long beach, etc.

My mother and I went to the Oregon coast hoping for sunshine and we were given storms. Beggers can't be choosers. Wind warnings were in effect! Check out the photos below with the warnings! We were cuddled in bed around 10pm listening to the winds outside on the beach. We start chatting a bit saying... wow, those winds are pretty powerful. We have never been in a windstorm before. Lets do it! So we go out of bed and went to the beach in the midst of the storm. MAGICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't explain it... the way the sand was moving... I felt like I was on another planet or slowly approaching never never land. It was too dark to get a video of the experience - but I will try and upload someone else's of a similar storm during the day on the same beach. It's just that youtube has fallen asleep - the page isn't loading and I want to publish this post!

When we think about it - we can still feel the sand in the back of our eyes. Well worth it! What an amazing experience. We added "Go into a sand storm on the Oregon Coast in the middle of the night with winds up to 60km/hr " on our bucket list and crossed it off - all in one night. Glorious.



1 comment:

  1. Yup...can still feel the sand behind my eyeballs. When we got caught in a sand storm in the Sahara, it never felt like the Oregon Beach sand storm. I guess the Bedouin's dress do work - it kept the sand out of our eyes during a storm....mum

    ReplyDelete