This post is a suggestion of what to do when in a new city or town. You can pretty much replicate this wherever you go. Of course there will always be tourist attractions people have to visit - but part of what you should do is try to live the life as a local person. I tried this my first day in Montreal and it was fabulous!
Breakfast: do some research if you have to! Find out what the locals usually eat! I had the honour of being taken by ET to a great little bakery! I had the pastry they are famous for- the name I don't have- and a small little 'kick start to the day' café au lait- latté. It was fresh, it was traditional, it was quick, and it was delicious.
Next thing I did was walk around. There's a lovely 'quieter' hour or so after the morning commuters rush to their cubicles and before the shops and stores open. Take your camera and walk aimlessly or with a purpose through little local streets. Great photo opportunity!
Lunch- a little research using urbanspoon.com or yelp.com helps. People rate restaurants!!! Look up one in the area you will be at around this time, of you're craving something specific - add French food or Japanese- even google a specific meal such as poutine. If you really want it- you might have travel the distance to get it- but like in my case yesterday - it was worth it. I searched 'inexpensive' lunch restaurants and stumbled upon a Portuguese flame grilled chicken resto called Rotisserie Romados - yum!!!!! Add it on your Montreal List. So much food for so cheap - an I'm sorry but pastas de natas are one of the best desserts on the planet!!!!
* try to find a local parc or sit on the side of the road somewhere. Food is better eaten outside - weather permitting. I found a picnic bench right at the bottom of Mont Royal - a stranger sat beside me halfway through my lunch to have his lunch and we hat a lovely chat!!! There's another one:
*attempt to get out of your shell and chat with a random local! Maybe even get some local juicy secrets from them - ask where you should go for dinner!! And if you're even guttsier- ask if they want to join you!!!!!!! Look at you go!!!!!!
Now that stores are open, you have time to kill and your belly is full- visit a local grocery store. You might not usually see this as a "list of things to do as a tourist." but I love food!!! What better way to learn more about the locals than exploring grocery store aisles to see what they eat!!!!
*keep in mind liquid requirements for flights home and these are great souvenir items for friends and family: cheap, local, light, practical ( wont be sitting on a shelf somewhere for years!- or we hope)
After the grocery store hit up- you can check out other shops, art galleries, special events/festivals/concerts, museums, mid afternoon nap, etc.
Refer above to 'lunch' to see what to do for dinner!
Happy travels!!!






No comments:
Post a Comment